Tom

Tom

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Early Tom

My name is Mark Sandeen...
I am Tom's second cousin, Tom was only five years older...with Lois, Jannie, Tom & Ruthie, Tom's sister's, we all grew up together...They lived in San Leandro, we in San Lorenzo.

I think to give some retrospective of the adult Tom, some people might find it interesting to know the young Tom...

My mom, let us know Tom should not be running around to much...Tom I think had asthma and used an inhaler...We only lived ten miles or so from the Heffernans, and we would get together for trips to the beach, Yosemite, camping in Oregon, and their cabin in Arnold. They were always great fun...

Anyway, I was 6 and Tom was 11...Aunt Mary, Tom and Ruthie were over our house, and all the kids were out playing baseball in the court. There was this kid Peter Anderson, about Toms age...Mom said Peter always had a chip on his shoulder, and this day Peter had it out for me.....I was on the other team, and he struck out, I said something I probably shouldn't have said... so, Peter started to beat me up....

Well....Tom, my BIG cousin immediately came to my rescue and without any hesitations...He grabs Peter, threw him off me and started pushing him away.
Tom the STUD, .. I think I was more surprised than Peter...Peter would not fight Tom, and I guess it was because no one ever stood up to him before. But that day , Tom, my Cousin, became my hero.

Tom stayed one of my hero's in life as we grew older, but it was for his other attributes...He loved his family, and his family loved him. Tom was really special to us, and I wish I could have saved him like he saved me...I will never forget you Tom. Love Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment