Tom

Tom

Monday, September 27, 2010

A COMMON SPIRIT

Yesterday, while driving to a social gathering, I noticed the coyote bush beginning to bloom along the hills. My first thought was that Tom had said this was one of his favorite plants. I thought of the Native American Ethnobotany book I just recieved as a gift from my sister and got excited about looking up the uses of one of Tom's favorite plants and sharing the information with him... then I realized, sadly, that I won't be able to do that.

I have enjoyed reading the blogs. I never knew Tom rescued worms, but I'm not suprised that he loved them! I use to stop and rescue toads on the roads when it rained in Michigan. We shared an empathy for nature, love of planet Earth and a great worry for it's current condition. Tom always had a sense of humor about it though; his last mention of a "solution to the problem" was that there was hope because "they have discovered a new super-virus that's immune to any drug". The short story that was submitted on this blog site reflected that humor/concern side of Tom and was one of his endearing qualities. I think he was a great writer and hope that something will get published someday. We use to share our writtings and I always thought he was so accomplished.

Bravery is not something that may come to mind when remembering Tom... a few years back we had taken a trip to Zion National Park and hiked the trail up to Angel's Landing. I chickened out when it came to the vertical climb to the top of the Landing portion of the trail, yet Tom, who had problems with his feet made the ascent!

I feel so fortunate to have had such a friend in my life...out of almost 7 billion people on the planet! Thank you, Tom!

No comments:

Post a Comment