Tom

Tom

Friday, September 24, 2010

Windshield Vipers

I have so many stories and memories of my friend Tom.  We met in ENSP in 1976!  Here is one funny story.  We set out on a camping trip in my little old VW bug with almost no money between us.  I think we were in the Mt. Shasta area and ran into unexpected snow - more like a blizzard actually.  (We had actually planned to camp!) That was the time my windshield wipers decided to give out.  So I can remember Tom reaching out the window in the freezing air, trying to wipe the mounds of snow away as I slowly crept along the road trying to find a place to stop.  Of course it was Sunday so any car repair places in the small town were closed.  So we scraped together our pennies, found a cheap motel, pulled out my idiots guide to VW repair and I remember a greasy mess spread out on newspapers on the motel room floor.  I DON'T recall whether we fixed it or not!  But I think I remember we found enough change in our pockets to share a plate of spaghetti.

Sometime after that, Tom presented me with a birthday card from the "windshield viper"!  It was a real card with a real viper (cut-out)!  I laughed so hard.  I might even still have it - I have to look.


This is from a birthday party in my backyard - 1982 or 1983.  Ginny Doyle on the far right.

No comments:

Post a Comment